Friday, December 25, 2015

Made a Ball and Socket Armature

Learned to make a ball and socket armature from scratch after work.
The design is based on Nathan Flynn's armature with some adjustments.

This was quite an eye opening experience. I drilled my own steel balls for the first time in my life for example. Metal working has always been something fascinating but far away until I started working at Laika, which meant access to tools and brilliant coworkers who I can learn from. It was quite a learning process but I had a lot of fun making it, and I am definitely trying some design adjustments on the next one.

 



















And I tried animating a walk on 1s. There were some quirkiness in the armature but it works for the most part. The nice thing about building it myself is that I already know all the kinks and weird in him.


Walk Test from Tina T. Hsu on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment