Wednesday, October 19, 2016

El Jimador - Day of the Dead Spots

Another recent commercial project I did for Bent were three 15 sec spots for Tequila Brand El Jimador's Day of the dead commercials.

Although I have worked at Laika, this was my first paid gig as a stop motion animator, and it was a project that had to be pulled together extremely quickly. We started animating before all the puppets were complete (I believe the puppet fab team made about 10-11? puppets in about 2 weeks. All with wire armature). I animated for about 1.5 weeks alongside two other animators and completed about one shot each day, which was about 2.5 - 4.5 second per day. I animated mostly on the wide bar set and the green screen set, and spent a day on the down shooter for the sign. What usually happened was I would animate a shot and wait for the stage to be set up for the next shot, and set up for first frame for the following day. Or I will finish a shot by the end of the day, and the following day starts with stage setup and I don't get launched till later in the afternoon. Besides a few re-shoots for continuity reasons or client notes, almost everything was animated and approved in one take, which pretty much never happens when I animate for myself.

It was really nice to work with sets/puppets made by other people since I always dread a little about not having tools/space and how long it takes to fabricate everything myself before I can animate. This was also the first time I had to control up to 4 puppets at once, and that was a lot to keep track of. Having to wait around for sets/puppets to be ready/approvals from many people before I can start was also strange for someone who came from 2D where I usually just sit and draw all day.

Overall it was a super fun experience and I learned a lot for sure and here are the end products! Enjoy!


El Jimador. Drink from Bent Image Lab on Vimeo.
I animated the crowds and in the end shot, which is the same for all three spots. I animated the sigh drop, sugar skull and the right half of the crowd.


El Jimador. ID from Bent Image Lab on Vimeo.
I animated the opening shot, the cheer before the end shot, the foreground/background crowds, and the end shot as described in the first one.


El Jimador. Wallet from Bent Image Lab on Vimeo.

I animated the skeleton cheer and the white guy in the cheer before then end shot, crowds and the end shot as described above.

No comments:

Post a Comment