Saturday, June 27, 2020

The Shivering Truth: Season 2

From Summer of 2019 to the beginning of 2020 (feels like a long time ago), I spent about 6 month working on Season 2 of The Shivering Truth. Now that Season 2 has aired, I am going to start posting about it. Will start posting footage and BTS photos once I get the permission for those.

For Season 2, I started as a storyboard revisionist, and later moved onto animation so I have two credits this time. Season 2 is produced at HouseSpecial, with a mix of new faces and season 1 crew.
The animation crew was split up into even and odd episodes this time, so most of my work are in the even episodes until it all blended together towards the end, as productions do. I am not sure if it was planned, but it felt like the odd episodes were heavier on the visual spectacle while the even episodes were more sensitive and emotional. And perhaps due to that aspect of the show, the odd episodes always felt more heavy duty for me on the board revision end.

Here are some BTS photos














































Episode 1: The Burn Earner Spits
Episode 1 was a beast in all stages of production. I mostly re-boarded the TV shop scenes/ike and Hank's sequences and did minor redraws and added frames for the rest of the episodes. Animation wise I was responsible for a few prayer flyer shots, and the new age shop (one of the cutest sets)
Episode 2: Carrion My Son
This is perhaps my favorite episode of season 2. The majority of revision happened in the doll shop, but there also added drawings in the opening segments. Animation wise I was responsible for Gigi(girl on the phone), Conrad in the church flexing, some Reiss and mom shots including Reiss taking care of mom doll in the bedroom.
Episode 3: Nesslessness
I feel like I did a lot of rebuild/redraw on every part of the episode. The opening sequence was very complicated for board and animation I believe, and re-building the scene was a bit of a brain gymnastic. I wasn't very involved with animation except for a few elements.
Episode 4: Beast of Both Worlds
Another episode I really liked. I believe most of the re-boarding were in the thug head quarter/fight scenes so lots of violence. Animation wise most of my work was on meditation lawn and him snorting and smoking up books, and the dream girl in her dream cloud.
Episode 5: The Diff
This was a very interesting/challenging one board wise because of how abstract and out of the box this episode was. I think most of my revisions were in the limo sequence, the EMT section and some the half figures, but a lot of work also went into adjusting the very architectural opening and the optometrist's office. Animation wise I did a few shots in the EMT sequence, the hotel and a bunch of tumbling figures, a few shots of the half figures and the pretty animal/nature shot.
Episode 6: Holeways
I don't remember the board revision on this one being super heavy. A lot of it was in the dental office, Dustin tearing up his room, animals and the final field I think. A good chunk of it was kicked back to the board artists towards the end since they didn't have future episodes to work on at the end. Animation wise I did Dustin in the cave, dentist talking through his mouth (was a bit of a challenge since the head mech was not working in half of her face) and the pigs cuddling.

I always enjoyed working on this show, even though I always wished there was more time and money to make it even nicer. But that's true to most if not all projects I guess, and I certainly hope it gets a season 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment